Photo above: Interim Mayor Todd Gloria won a Golden Gear Award last year (2012)
Golden Gear Awards recognize San Diego’s most noteworthy bicycling advocates and achievements on December 12
SAN DIEGO, December 4, 2013 – On Thursday, December 12, the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition, an organization advocating for and protecting the rights of all people who ride bicycles, wraps up 2013 and puts a bow on top by honoring this year’s bicycling heroes with its Golden Gear Awards and Holiday Joy Ride.
After weighing a year’s worth of achievements, the Bicycle Coalition has chosen one Golden Gear recipient for each of its five award categories:
- Advocate of the Year: Randy Van Vleck of City Heights Community Development Corporation for his tireless efforts to make bicycling a safer transportation option, particularly in Mid-City.
- Volunteers of the Year: Julie Hocking and Robert Leone for their commitment and dedication the SDCBC through years of volunteer service to the organization.
- Community Partner of the Year: KPRI Radio, for its support of bicycling and media contribution to Bike Month and Bike the Bay Programs. Public Partner of the Year:
- San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) for its work advancing active transportation options by supporting the $200-million early action program for the San Diego Regional Bike Plan.
- Bike Friendly Business of the Year: New Belgium Brewing for supporting bicycling throughout the country with the annual Tour de Fat and raising more than $91,000 for the SDCBC in the past five years.
“San Diego is growing its bicycle-culture thanks to some very involved community members and organizations,” says Andy Hanshaw, executive director. “The winners we’ve chosen have substantially progressed the bicycling movement in San Diego. This is our event to recognize them and celebrate a great year.”
The Golden Gear Awards will kick off with the third annual Holiday Joy Ride on December 12 at 5:30 p.m.This festive downtown ride features a “light-your-bike” theme, encouraging bicycles (and people) strung with holiday lights or wrapped like presents. After the short ride, attendees will enjoy an interactive bicycling recap of 2013 presented by the Bicycle Coalition, watch the Golden Gear Awards, sip New Belgium brews and enjoy a fun celebration of bicycles in San Diego.
The Holiday Joy Ride is for ages 21 and up. Tickets are $10 for Coalition members, $15 for non-members or $25 for an event ticket and a membership. Tickets include the Holiday Joy Ride, a beer token and a program, and can be purchased here.
SAN DIEGO COUNTY BICYCLE COALITION: San Diego County Bicycle Coalition is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which advocates for and protects the rights of all people who ride bicycles. They promote bicycling as a mainstream, safe and enjoyable form of transportation and recreation. For more information on the Bicycle Coalition, please visit www.sdcbc.org.